Initial prototype & bodystorm

To implement our final design we spent time researching different technologies and settled upon creating a digital graffiti wall. We then put together a lo-fi prototype so that we could conduct user testing to check that it would be easy to use and have the interactive and educational elements needed. A paper that I read found that museum visitors tend to prefer interactive exhibits with a tactile interface where they can create personal content. This led us to creating ‘graffiti’ cans.

Graffiti interface low fi prototype


Over the past few weeks all of us have been researching what different technologies we could use to eventually implement our final design. We settled upon the digital graffiti wall as it gives the option to add on screen educational/teaching elements, graffiti creation and has the group participation element that we wanted.

We each gathered up lots of craft supplies and met to start building a low-fidelity prototype. Before getting started we listed out our user and design requirements to make sure that we had them to refer to as we start to develop the physical interface.

Developing our graffiti interface prototype


In order to test our prototype we chose someone unfamiliar with the project to bodystorm using it. With no instruction they instinctively picked up the spray can and started using the attached pen to draw on the graffiti wall. They then pressed the button to send their signature and drawing to the social media account. This interaction was wonderful as it showed our interface felt natural and did not need instructions.

User testing our prototype

During the bodystorm we realised that the interface worked well but did not feel innovative enough – something that we felt would be important to draw visitors.

My next step

Second prototype

Read more
My previous step

PACT analysis

Read more